Saturday, January 22, 2011

Penguin StoryTime @ The Book Spot 1/20/2011

Hi Everyone! We had another wonderful storytime this week focused on Penguins!

The Book Spot has done some remodeling of the children's area and it looks great! More space for reading time, relaxing, and playing! Enjoy!


This week was all about Penguins.  When I asked what sound a Penguin made I got several answers - "Quack", "Tweet", and "Squawk" - LOL.  We aren't sure, but it's definitely fun to try to figure it out!

Of course we sang our welcome song - I'm hoping in a few weeks everyone will join me in singing. Everyone found a spot to sit, and we started to read!

Here is the list of books I read this week:


Penguins by Liz Pichon - cute story about some penguins who find a camera that was dropped by a little girl at the zoo! FLASH! CLICK! ;-)

A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis - Story about Edna the penguin that is searching for something that isn't white, black, or blue!

Where is Home, Little Pip? by Karma Wilson & Jane Chapman - Little Pip wanders away from home and goes on a search to find home and in the process talks to several different animals who tell us where their home is.  In the end mama and papa find Little Pip and we find that home is where we are with our families and where we feel safe and loved! Nice message!

Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice by Steve Metzger - of course always the crowd pleaser!


Songs were a big hit with everyone, even the little ones that attended the storytime.  So much fun!
 
Songs/Rhymes (Original Authors Unknown):

“I’m A Little Penguin”
I'm a little penguin
Black and white,
Short and wobbly
An adorable sight.
I can't fly at all
But I love to swim,
So I'll waddle to the water
And dive right in!

I’m a Little Penguin
In the sea.
I can swim as fast as can be!
When I catch a fish, just look at me.
I’m as proud as I can be.

Penguin Family
One royal penguin . .feeling very blue (hold up one finger)
Called for his brother then there were two (hold up two fingers)
Two royal penguins. . .swimming in the sea (swimming motion)
Called for their sister then there were three (hold up three fingers)
Three royal penguins waddle on the shore (waddle)
Call for their mother, then there were four (hold up four fingers)
            Four royal penguins learning how to dive (Make diving motion)
            Call for their father, then there were five (hold up five fingers)
 

After storytime, songs, and our good bye song we went ahead and did our awesome craft: Penguin Puppets!  We had such a good time gluing down our pieces to make our penguins! Several of the children named their puppets and pretended that they were eating fish!








After craft time we also shared blueberry banana muffins! YUM YUM!! :-)
MUFFIN TIME!!!
Until Next time, keep reading!
Ms. Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment